Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving

I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving. I guess once you graduate school the time just passes by more quickly. In college I would have a whole month for Christmas break. Now I work Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas. Where's the fun in that?

Anyway... I used to love Thanksgiving. I have spent every Thanksgiving in my hometown of Charleston, SC except for my first year of marriage. Now, for the second time in three years I will be unable to go to Charleston.

Thanksgiving day is just not what it used to be anymore. I used to have the same tradition growing up. I would wake up and my mom would make cinnamon rolls and then I would watch the Macy's Day parade. That parade used to be awesome. Who didn't love seeing Sonic the Hedgehog, Tom the Turkey, and all the other balloons? Then Santa would show up, probably drunk, but he kept waving to the crowd. Then somewhere through the years they focused less on the balloons and more on the "Broadway" acts. Who cares about those people jumping around in their little costumes?

By the way I think the worst image that has been engraved in my memory was when the TV station interviewed Richard Simmons. You know that little outfit that he wears? Well it was like 20 degrees that day, and all he was wearing was his little costume. Gross, I think I just threw up...

Anyway, It seems like the bulk of the parade is now just people singing and of course you have the marching bands. I know that these students have to raise a lot of money to get there, but I don't care about watching the Macon, Georgia High School Fighting Bacon Marching Band. I want to see Big Bird and Garfield floating down the street. Instead I see Miley Cyrus and the Jonas brothers lip sync.

By the way, another awkward moment, I had a friend growing up tell me that he thought the middle Hanson sister was hot. I had to inform him that she was in fact he, and that we were no longer friends.

So this year for Thanksgiving I will be staying in town and going to a couple of Leslie's relatives houses. Eating, drinking... hopefully mostly drinking my way to a happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: